CAS in Coffee Excellence
- ZHAW Zürcher Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften - Departement Life Sciences und Facility Management
- part-time / distance learning
- CAS (Certificate of Advanced Studies)
- People with a university degree (diploma or Bachelor)
- People with an equivalent education
- Professionals from the coffee industry
- Professionals from related fields (food, gastronomy and hospitality management)
ObjectivesThe participants acquire in-depth knowledge and a comprehensive overview of the science of coffee along the entire value chain:
- Module A - The fruit: from tree to trade (green coffee)
- Module B - The bean: transformation and packaging
- Module C - The cup: extraction and sensory analysis
- Module D - Workshops
- Module A - The Fruit: From tree to trade
This module covers all aspects of the green coffee, from tree to trade, is structured into 6 Sessions of self study on moodle and completed by an Assessment in form of a report.
- Module B - The Bean: Transformation and Packaging
This module covers all aspects of roasted bean, until extraction, is structured into 5 Sessions of self study on moodle and completed by an Assessment in form of a report.
- Module C - The Cup: Extraction and Sensory
This module is dedicated to the extraction, aroma and sensory of coffee, is structured into 5 Sessions of self study on moodle and completed by an Assessment in form of a report.
- Module D - Workshops
This module is is a tailormade workshop, in remote learning format, to deepen the content covered in Modules A to C (to be jointly developed),and will happen during WoC or EXPO. This module is completed by an Assessment in form of a report.
The cost includes the tuition fee, course materials, virtual lessons, exam payment, the diploma and expenses related to Module D which is accommodation, dinner and entrance fees to World of Coffee and Specialty Coffee Expo events.
- University degree (diploma or bachelor's degree) or an equivalent education.
- OR at least 3 years of professional experience in the coffee industry or related areas (food, hospitality management, etc.) at the time of registration.
- Good written and oral skills in English.
LocationOnline on moodle platform
(Module D is in person during Worls of Coffee or Specialty Coffee EXPO events.)
The relevant know-how is conveyed and developed through lectures by recognized experts, case studies, group work and self-study.
Modules A, B and C are structured into 6-7 Sessions in online self-study format. Every session includes 1 online classroom. Module D is a tailormade workshop that will take place during World of Coffee or Specialty Coffee EXPO events. Workload per week is approx. 5-7 hours of self-study.
ZHAW Departement Life Sciences and Facility Management
Study and research in Wädenswil: practical, creative, passionate and reflective.
The ZHAW is one of the leading Swiss universities of applied sciences. The School of Life Sciences and Facility Management in Wädenswil offers bachelor's and master's degree programmes as well as an extensive continuing education programme.